Constant Sneezing And Runny Nose? You Should Be Tested For Allergies

If you are constantly sneezing and have a runny nose, this could be caused by allergies. The best way to deal with this is to see an allergist to get tests done. Below is more information about this so you can start feeling better.

Visit an Allergist

An allergist will start out asking you questions. For example, they will ask you when you are having problems to see if it is certain times of the year. They will ask you how long you have been having these symptoms and how bad they are.

If the allergist thinks you have allergies, they will do an allergy test on you. This will show the doctor what you are allergic to so they can give you the proper treatment. The most common test used is a skin prick test. There are many things you may be allergic to, such as hay fever, dust, pollen, mold, etc. If you have animals in your home, you may be allergic to them, such as flakes of their skin that are in the air. 

The skin prick test involves pricking the skin in different areas. This may be a little painful for you but not very bad. Once this is done, the doctor will put tiny drops of possible allergens into the pricks they made on your skin. If you are allergic to the allergen, your skin will start to redden quickly. 

Allergy Treatment

Once the allergist determines what you are allergic to, they will develop a treatment plan for you. Depending on how bad your allergy is, the doctor may suggest either over the counter medication or prescription medication pills. This includes antihistamines and/or decongestants. The doctor may also have you use a nasal spray each day to help with this problem. Allergy shots are also available. 

If medication does not work for you, there is a treatment known as allergen immunotherapy that the doctor may suggest. This treatment is exposing you to the allergy. They will start out with a small amount of the allergy and then increase the amount a little at a time. This may change your body's immune response to the allergy over time.

The allergist that you see can give you much more information about allergies and how they are treated. You will likely need to see the allergist regularly, such as once a year or every six months.  To learn more about allergen testing, make an appointment with a medical professional.